FUEL TYPE: GAS
PEOPLE: SERVES 4
PREP TIME: 10 MINS + COOLING
1/3 cup (75g) brown sugar
2 tbs coconut-flavoured rum
1 lime juice
1 ripe pineapple, thickly sliced
Coconut ice cream and lime wedges, to serve
2 medium limes
1/4 cup (60ml) water
1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
1 tbs coconut-flavoured rum
Pineapple, rum, lime and coconut…this is practically a party on a plate! This great combo of fragrant tropical flavours makes for the perfect festive dessert. This recipe can be cooked on any BBQ but for optimal results use the new Weber Q. It takes advantage of the high efficiency burner design providing even, consistent heat across the entire cooking surface, ensuring the delicate pineapple cooks evenly.
1. Prepare the new Weber Q for cooking using a small Q Ware frying pan over direct medium heat (180°C - 230°C).
2. To make lime syrup, using a vegetable peeler, thinly peel zest from limes and place in the pan with the water and sugar. Juice limes and add to pan.
3. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and stir in rum. Set aside to cool and infuse. Strain cooled syrup into a jug and refrigerate until required.
4. Combine brown sugar, rum and lime juice in a small bowl. Lay pineapple slices on a tray or plate and brush all over with the sugar mixture.
5. Re-set the new Weber Q for direct cooking over medium-high heat (210°C-250°C).
6. Once the New Weber Q has preheated, brush the cooking grills clean with a wire brush.
7. Grill the pineapple slices, over direct high heat, with the lid closed, for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until caramelised.
8. Arrange pineapple slices on serving plates and drizzle with the lime syrup. Serve with ice cream and lime wedges.
Avoid any of the white pith when zesting the limes, as this will make the syrup bitter.
For an extra festive touch try adding a sprinkling of crushed meringue, flaked coconut, glace cherries or silver cachous.
If time is short, you can serve the pineapple with a bottle of salted caramel sauce, instead of the lime syrup.