The amount of paint you will need will vary according to the paint as well as the condition of the surface. The paint calculator below will give you a reasonable estimate. The guide is based on two coats of paint, 16 sq. meters per litre coverage. Don't forget to reduce the surface area to be painted if the area includes large windows and doors.
Tips and techniques
- It can be easy to overlook many areas in a room. Don’t forget to measure all areas that need painting: this includes trims, skirting, doors, window sills and ceilings. The paint calculator only takes into consideration the walls of a room, so be sure to account for a little extra paint to cover all surfaces.
- If you’re just painting the walls, don’t forget to subtract the dimensions of any doors or windows - this could be the difference between purchasing an extra can of paint!
- Consider the type of surface you’re painting. Is it new, or is it a repaint? Is it an interior, or an exterior project? Some surfaces spread the paint differently, so it’s important to consider the quality and appearance you’re going for.
- For the best finish, multiple coats are recommended. At least two coats will give you a premium finish, but paint spread can vary between brands. Visit us in-store to chat with our friendly team about the best paint for your needs.
- The right paint applicators can make your project far easier. Consider the areas that need to be painted, and ensure you’re equipped with the right tools for the job. Check out our range of paint applicators, including brushes, applicator poles and rollers.
- Need inspiration for your next feature wall or outdoor fence? Our decorating and painting guides can help you choose the right paint, colours and effects to help your project stand out.
Distance around the room (m)
Looking for paint?
Mitre 10 stocks a huge range of paint and paint applicators for all your interior and exterior projects. Get your project off the ground sooner with our convenient buy now, pay later methods including ZipPay, Humm and Afterpay. Find your local store or contact our friendly customer care team to help you plan your next project.